January 4, 2010

An Apology to Doris Lessing

Ms. Lessing,

I am so sorry that you are being put on the Margate Atwood list. I just had a crisis at work today… granted a crisis at my job involves spending hours in a private library pulling plays in hopes to find just a few more monologues for a class I’m TAing…. But a crisis nonetheless!

So I didn’t spend time with you today. I am sorry. Truly and deeply sorry.

And it’s not just because you’re book is so damned long and time is running out for my winter break.

….impressions so far are pretty mixed. I don’t think 150 pages is enough to really give an accurate assessment of this work of literature. I’m hoping that I have something to say before long though, otherwise I’ll just be scratching my head at the end of all of this wondering what the point is…. Again.

Most sincerely,

Danielle

No comments: